Monday, January 19, 2009

Broken Arm!

Well, I have news!! Friday morning Tyrel decided to forgo his normal golf game and go mountain biking. What I thought would be a great idea--good exercise, no money out of pocket--turned out to be a disaster! Tye came upon a steep incline he was not prepared for and he ended up stopping short and falling to the ground and sliding down the incline. In the process of stopping, he landed on his left arm. He knew immediately that it was broken (having broken parts of that arm 5 times before--I guess it is the arm of choice when breaking a fall!) He was very dizzy and ready to pass out so he laid down on his backpack to gain his equilibrium. As he is laying there he hears his phone--which was in his backpack--begin to dial a number. The number he happened to be dialing was mine. I answered all pleased that he would think to call me while he was out having fun--something I wondered about later--and he tried to act as normal as possible as he is writhing in pain. He sounded far-away which was because his phone was in the backpack--something I also wondered about later! He said he would see me in a few hours and I ended the converstaion with "Be careful!" (I guess I was too late with that warning.)

After he gained composure he had to walk about 4 miles out of the canyon he had been hiking in--while holding his bicycle with one hand. In some areas he was able to ride his bike but he mostly walked to avoid another accident. (Another broken bone would not be good.) Once back to civilization he got some ibuprofen in his system and he and Derrick, his biking buddy, came upon an older lady with a flat tire. Derrick changed her tire as Tye watched. By this time I had been informed about the situation--which he prefaced with "Just know that I'm okay, but...." I guess he was trying to avoid my hysterics.

After an x-ray in Urgent Care we found that he has a radial head fracture. In my language the bone in his forearm was jammed into the head of the bone at his elbow. He can't rotate his arm but he can lift his arm and he has full use of his fingers. We feel blessed that it wasn't worse and that it wasn't his right arm. We will see an orthopedic surgeon this week to see if he needs pins put in--pray that he doesn't! Hopefully a cast will suffice.

The moral of this story is...there are better ways to get out of church to watch the AZ Cardinals play in the NFC Championship than breaking your arm!! GO CARDINALS!!Also, golf is my preferred sport for my husband!!

1 comment:

  1. Dr. beavers, I was very shocked to read about your accident! Thank God it is going to be OK it sounds like!

    Sell the Bike, buy more golf Balls!!! (perhaps a new club or 2 also!!!)
    Get very well real soon!!
    All the Best to you and yours!

    Rv

    ReplyDelete